No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Harry W. Weedon Partnership
Styles: Art Deco
One of the original Odeon Theatres built for Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain. The Odeon opened on 7th February 1938 with Jack Buchanan in "The Sky’s the Limit". The large seating capacity was probably too large for the city which was already well served with cinemas, but it was a splendid addition to the entertainment facilities.
The facade was flat, and was built of brick, the large central panel was covered in buff faiance tiles and had a large window, that was sub-divided into 25 smaller windows, edged in black faiance tiles. Inside the auditorium, seating was arranged for 1,246 in the stalls and 808 in the circle. There was a highly decorated grille on each side of the proscenium opening.
The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 26th June 1971 with Telly Savalas in "A Town Called Bastard". The building had been sold to a property developer and was demolished. It was replaced by a new Odeon that had been built and opened in 1971, on an adjacent site on the new Anglia Square Shopping Centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.