Moraga Way and Brookwood Road,
17 people favorited this theater
Orinda Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Renaissance Rialto
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Feb 5, 2014 — Cinema photos by Franck Bohbot
- Apr 21, 2011 — New Rheem owners to take over operations of Orinda Theater
- May 9, 2008 — Theatre Historical Society Conclave To Visit Bay Area
The Orinda Theatre opened on December 27, 1941 with William Holden in “Texas”. The theatre was built for and operated by Donald Rheem. It was designed by father & son architects Alexander Aimwell Cantin & Alexander McKenzie Cantin, who, in 1950 would form the architectural firm Cantin and Cantin.
Slated for demolition in 1984, it was saved through the efforts of preservationists and reopened in 1989 as the center of the Theater Square Project – a retail/entertainment redevelopment project.
Two extra screens have been constructed within adjoining retail space, leaving the original screen intact.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.