1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Svensks Filmindustri
Architects: Nils Einar Eriksson
The Draken Cinema opened on 26th April 1956. It was a premiere cinema in Gothenburg and originally had a seating capacity of 742, all on a single level. Inside the modern auditorium the side walls were totally covered with Honduras mahogany. The attractive screen curtain was decorated with a dragon boat.
On 14th December 1960, the Draken Cinema became a Cinerama theatre, using the 3-projector system. The proscenium and screen curtain were widened to acommodate the 20 metres wide Cinerama screen. In 1966 it was equipped to screen 70mm films.
Operated by the Svensk Filmindustri chain, they handed the cinema over to the Gothenburg Film Festival in 1995. In 1999 it was taken over by the Folkets Hus organisation. Although it no longer screens regular films and is mainly used as a conference centre, it is still the main cinema for the Gothenburg Film Festival, which takes place every February.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.