New Mayfair Theatre
5915 Market Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Hoffman-Henon Co.
Previous Names: Coliseum Theatre, Mayfair Theatre
The Coliseum Theatre was operating by 1914. In 1916, a new 1,100 seat auditorium was built behind the existing building to the plans of architectural firm Hofman-Henon Co., and the existing building became the lobby. In July 1923, the Coliseum Theatre was redecorated in an Egyptian style.
In 1937, it was renamed Mayfair Theatre, and in 1950, it was remodeled again to the plans of architect Phillip Mastrin, reopening on June 7, 1950 as the New Mayfair Theatre. The theatre was given a new facade of baked enamel & glass. Inside the auditorium, seating was still provided on a single floor and was reduced to 804. A series of six square columns along the side-walls had the panels in-between covered with the patterned wallpaper. There was an ornamental surround to the ceiling, and on each side of the proscenium were decorative murals depicting an animal and plants.
The New Mayfair Theatre was closed in the 1960’s.
The early part of the history of the Coliseum Theatre was researched by theatre historan, the late Irvin R. Glazer.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.