Portage Sky-Lite Drive-In
12540 S. Dixie Highway,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Jack Armstrong Circuit
The Portage Sky-Lite Drive-In opened on August 19, 1948. It was built by Carl H. Schwyn Theatres. Schwyn, from Cygnet, Ohio, was a prominent businessman. He made his living in banking, farming, and had various oil and gas interests. He owned the Cla-Zel Theatre and Lyric Theatre in Bowling Green, Ohio, the State Theatre in Napoleon, Ohio, and the State Theatre in Toledo, Ohio. In 1946 he also leased the Paramount Theatre in Toledo, Ohio.
The Jack Armstrong Circuit was the manager of all the Schwyn Theatre properties. It had a capacity for 538 cars. The screen size measured 41 feet by 52 feet. It also featured a dance floor for those who wished to dance before the movie began. An additional feature of this theatre was a playground for the kids to keep them occupied. Mr. Schwyn died in 1967. The Jack Armstrong Circuit took over control of the properties after his death. The Portage Sky-Lite Drive-In finally closed in 1986. The drive-in theatre was demolished and a self- serve storage unit was built on the property.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.