143 E. Wooster Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Armstrong Circuit
Previous Names: New Lyric Theater
The original Lyric Theatre location in downtown Bowling Green dated back to the early days of cinema. It was deemed out of date and too small to continue profitably. Operators Mr. and Mrs. Clark and Hazel Young decided to close the venue on October 20, 1935 with a double-feature for eleven cents – all seats. It was replaced with a Harry’s Auto Parts store. The New Lyric opened for the Youngs on October 29, 1935 with Jane Withers in “This is the Life". The venue installed the Photophone High Fidelity Sound System and kept prices low.
The Lyric Theatre and the larger, “A-house” Cla-Zel theaters were taken over by the Armstrong Circuit. The Lyric Theatre became a weekend-only operation struggling during the TV era. It was closed on March 30, 1958 with an Alec Guinness double-feature of “Bridge on the River Kwai” and “The Prisoner”.The theatre was then converted for retail purposes in 1958 for Graever’s Store for Men and Boys. The building has since been razed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.