Loew's Pitkin Theatre
1501 Pitkin Avenue,
19 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
News About This Theater
The Loew’s Pitkin Theatre opened on November 23, 1929 with Elliot Nugent in “So This is College”, plus on-stage “Café de Paree” (originally created for the Capitol Theatre in Manhattan). Initially operating as a premier movie/stage show venue that eventually went to movies only it was advertised as a ‘Loew’s Wonder Theatre’ by 1930. Multi-tiered theatre with Greek statuary adorning the side walls and proscenium area. It had a Robert Morton 3 Manual, 14 Rank theatre organ too.
Unfortunately, the neighborhood went down, and the theatre’s fortunes went south as well. The Loew’s Pitkin Theatre was closed in November 1971 with Richard Roundtree in “Shaft” & Jim Brown in “The Split”.
It had a long stint as a church, but the congregation eventually moved out. The entry lobby was converted into retail space (later used as storage), but the theatre auditorium itself stood behind a fake wall that was installed in the foyer. Over the 40 years of neglect and dereliction the building gradually became a wreck.
In the Summer of 2010, the building was being prepared to be converted into a school and retail use, which was completed in September 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.