Fox T & D Theatre

221 W. Seventh Street,
Hanford, CA 93230

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres, T & D Jr. Enterprises

Previous Names: Ashby Theatre, Pastime Theatre, T & D Theatre

Nearby Theaters

The 752-seat Ashby Theatre was opened on February 19, 1912. The Sanborn Insurance Maps of 1913 listed the Ashby Theatre at this location. On October 18, 1919 it was renamed Pastime Theatre. In December 1925 it was taken over by T & D Theatres and following an expansion and renovations it reopened as the T & D Theatre on February 24, 1926. In 1929 it was taken over by William Fox/Fox West Coast Theatres and was renamed Fox T & D Theatre. It was closed on December 17, 1929 due to Fox West Coast Theatres opening their new Fox Theatre on December 15, 1929.

In 1941 it became the home to a local newspapaer and was demolished in March 1974 to build a branch of Union Bank on the site.

Contributed by rpierce

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 21, 2019 at 8:03 pm

George F. Ashby launched the 752-seat Ashby Theatre in a retail building shared with a cigar store / pool hall. The Ashby launched February 19, 1912 with live vaudeville and films and a speech by Mayor B.L. Barney. In 1919, the location became a short-lived boxing venue. But new operators Miller & McKee renamed it the Pastime Theatre relaunching October 18, 1919 with the feature, “Gates of Brass.”

The T & D Circuit took on the location closing for a major refresh in December of 1925. The remodeling expanded the size of the theatre. It relaunched as the T&D Theatre on February 24, 1926 with live vaudeville and the Constance Talmadge film, “Her Sister From Paris.” In 1929. the theatre was taken over by the William Fox Circuit / West Coast Fox Circuit becoming the Fox T & D Theatre. Fox closed the operation on December 17, 1929 as it opened the new Fox Theatre on December 15, 1929.

In 1941, it became home to the local newspaper. The building was demolished for a new bank in March of 1974.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.