1 person favorited this theater
Architects: A. Glyndon Sherwin
Located in Meir, to the east of Longton in the ‘Potteries’, Staffordshire. The Broadway Cinema was a ‘Super Cinema’ which opened on 14th December 1936 with Anna Neagle in “Limelight” and Charles Bickford in “Java Seas”. It had a 38 feet wide proscenium and was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. There was a café located in the circle foyer which had a decorative frieze of cartoon characters (a clown, Micky & Minnie Mouse & Pluto) by artist H. Tittsener.
Always independently operated, the Broadway Cinema was taken over by the Blackpool based Tudor Bingo Clubs chain by 1968 and they closed the cinema on 19th June 1971 with James Fox & Mick Jagger in “Performance”. Planning permission was granted in October 1971 to demolished the building and this happened in May 1973. A block of flats with shops on the ground floor have been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.