226 S. Dakota Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Publix Theaters Corporation
Architects: George Issenhuth
As advertised in the Evening Huronite, the Bijou Theatre opened August 10, 1907, in the World Building.
With an uneven history of opening and closing, the Bijou Thetare closed in August 1928 and then reopened in October 1929 to take the place of the closed Lyric Theatre.
In April 1932 the State Theatre opened across the street.
The Bijou Theatre closed in July 1934 and then reopened with all new equipment and furnishings by the Minnesota Amusement Company on October 10, 1936. After being closed for a few months it opened again in September 1938 for State Fair Week. Its attraction for the one week run was Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".
Film Daily Year Book 1941 lists the closed Bijou Theatre, a Publix Theatre, with 460 seats. The Bijou Theatre was quickly reopened on December 28, 1942, to take the place of the State Theatre, which was destroyed by fire at 5pm that same day. The Bijou Theatre closed once again on June 8, 1944, to make way for the June 9 reopening of the renovated State Theatre.
In May 1969, the World Building was destroyed by fire and later replaced by a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.