Fremont Theatre

202 W. State Street,
Fremont, OH 43420

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Schine Circuit Inc.

Architects: J.C. Johnson, Alvin M. Strauss

Previous Names: Fremont Opera House

Nearby Theaters

Fremont Theatre

Built in 1890 to the plans of J.C. Johnson, the Fremont Opera House opened January 15, 1891 with the Gilbert & Sullivan’s “The Gondoliers”. Known as a live venue early on, Fremont residents got to see Harry Houdini and magician Harry Blackstone among the celebrities. But by the mid-1910’s, the Opera House relied heavily on silent motion pictures playing some of the biggest titles.

In 1921, the venue was remodeled and became the Fremont Theatre relying solely on motion pictures. Schine Circuit took on the theatre and converted it to sound. Schine also purchased and then closed the competing Strand Theatre. But when the Paramount Theatre opened in Fremont in November of 1931, Schine realized the aging Fremont Theatre would be in trouble and accepted an offer to sell the theatre to Paramount.

After a final performance on December 19, 1932, the Fremont Theatre/Opera House sat empty for most of the next 27 years. The Fremont Theatre was demolished in June of 1959 for the Liberty Bank.

Contributed by dallasmovietheaters

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on November 13, 2017 at 6:26 pm

The Fremont Opera House is listed in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. It’s the only theater listed under Fremont OH. Frank Heim and W.P. Hayes were Mgrs. 1,098 seats. The proscenium opening was 30 feet wide X 32 feet high, and the stage was 38 feet deep. The auditorium was on the ground floor. There were 2 daily newspapers, and 2 weekly, one of which was in German. There were 2 hotels for show folk, the Ball House and the Croghan House. 1897 population was 9,000-plus.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 4, 2018 at 2:06 am

The Fremont Theatre’s final renovation was probably the project noted only as “Fremont Theatre Bldg., Fremont, Oh.” which is project #563 on a list of the works of Fort Wayne architect Alvin M. Strauss. There is no indication of how extensive the project was.

DavidZornig on August 1, 2020 at 4:36 am

Additional Fremont history credit Mark Howell & ‚ÄéRichard DeLombard. In 1849 the residents changed the name of Lower Sandusky to Fremont, to honor John Fremont, who helped acquire California during the Mexican War. It was Lower Sandusky because it was downriver from Upper Sandusky.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.