Showing 12 comments
This must be from 1926 as it shows the old Federal Reserve Building under construction on the right.
The first talking motion picture shown in Toledo debuted here on January 14, 1928.
From the book “Remembering Rochester: Main Street Stories, published in 2011:
“It may not stand out today, but for the first forty years of its history, the building at 435 S. Main Street was a theater and entertainment center in downtown Rochester. In October 1913, the Rochester Clarion announced that James W. Smith, owner of the Hotel St. James at 439 S. Main, had purchased property adjoining his hotel to the south in order to build a new theater. Smith promised that construction would be rushed on the new building, which would be "up-to-the-minute in every particular.”
True to his promise, Smith opened the New Idle Hour Theatre under the management of Oscar Price in February, 1914. The Era told its readers that the new moving picture house was “of white brick with steel ceiling and sidewalls, concrete floors, asbestos operating booth, perfect ventilation, steam heat, and…absolutely fireproof.” It was described as seating 400 patrons, and boasted an 18 foot stage with a depth of 16 feet, suitable for live performances as well as film screenings. The premiere of the new house offered a live performance by the Rochester Comedy Company, entitled True Irish Hearts.
The following year, Edward J. Cole took over the Idle Hour, and eventually the operation of the theater passed to Charles L. Sterns, who renamed it the Avon Theatre in 1936. The Avon was Rochester’s only movie theater until 1942, when Sterns opened the Hills Theatre across the street. The larger Hills became the town’s first-run house, and the Avon presented second-run titles and serials.
The Avon Theatre closed in the early 1950s, and the building was sold to the owners of Oberg Electric and Appliance. While the Obergs were in the process of remodeling the building in May 1955, the facade of the building peeled off and crashed to the sidewalk when a steel beam across the front of the building collapsed. Nobody was hurt in the mishap, but it brought an abrupt end to the Art Deco face of the building. Oberg Electric occupied the building for about a decade, and it was home to Michigan Chandelier, another electric supplier, until the mid-1980s. A number of retailers have come and gone since then; among the recent ones were the Varsity Shop, the Body Tonic Spa and the current occupant, the Who UR Resale for a Cause."
This is definitely not the Gem. The building at the top of the photo definitely isn’t in Detroit.
The book “Flint 1890-1960” says this theater also contained a ballroom on its upper floors. It was demolished in 1952 and replaced with a Winkelman’s clothing store, which is what currently occupies the site that is being used as a restaurant.
The former lobby is now home of an Asian restaurant called Pao. The rest of the building is apartments.
This theater was in Highland Park, not Detroit. The site is currently an apartment building. Anyone know exactly what year it was demolished?
The current address for the building is 220 North Hamilton Street.
Demolished in 1977 for the 10 story Citizen Bank North Building, completed a year later. The building today is used by University of Michigan-Flint and is called University Towers.
This theater has been demolished and is now a vacant lot.
This theater has undergone renovations and is now home to a church.
This is the Graystone Ballroom on Woodward, not the Graystone Theatre on Michigan.