1615 Euclid Avenue,
11 people favorited this theater
The Playhouse Square Center (Official)
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
Functions: Performing Arts
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Keith's Palace Theatre, RKO Palace Theatre
News About This Theater
- Aug 11, 2012 — Summer Film series at Cleveland's historic Palace Theater
- May 17, 2012 — REMEMBERING CINERAMA (Part 49: Cleveland)
- Oct 6, 2010 — Happy 50th, "Spartacus"
- Feb 15, 2010 — How a search for a lecture hall led to the rescue of Cleveland's Playhouse Square theaters
- Dec 19, 2006 — Cinerama Ad-Cleveland, Ohio
Built by E.F. Albee as a showplace for the Keith circuit. Keith’s Palace Theatre was costed at $2 million. This palatial vaudeville theatre opened on November 6, 1922 with a seating capacity of 2,530. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3 manual 15 ranks organ. It later made the switch to movies.
In the 1950’s, the Palace Theatre became the home for Cinerama-151;a renovation that required the removal of 1,800 seats. Despite the initial success, the Palace Theatre, and its neighbors, fell on hard times and the theatre closed in 1969. The marquee was subsequently torn down and the theatre was boarded up.
In 1970, the Playhouse Square Association was formed to save the Palace Theatre and other nearby theatres, such as the Ohio Theatre and the Allen Theatre. The Palace Theatre reopened in 1988 as a performing arts venue after a year long restoration, and a 3 manual 13 ranks Kimball organ (originally installed in the Liberty Theatre, East Liberty section of Pittsburgh, PA) was installed at the Palace Theatre.
It is still part of the Playhouse Square group and remains a live theatre and performing arts venue to this day.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.