5046 S. Ashland Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Schoenstadt
Previous Names: Nickel Theater, 51st Street Theater
Originally opened in 1904 as the Nickel Theater. It was located in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on S. Ashland Avenue at W. 51st Street. By 1910 it had been renamed 51st Street Theater. In 1914 the theater was acquired by the Schoenstadt circuit, which also operated the nearby Palace Theater and Ashland Theater. It was also given another name change at this time, as the Pastime Theater. The theater along with the Palace Theater were both listed ‘For Sale’ in March of 1916, so it was most likely closed by then, as advertisements for the Pastime Theater disappear from the Chicago Tribune listings after 1914.
The former theater building house a furniture store in the 1950’s and into the 1960’s, and an Arab-American club from the late-1960’s into the early-1970’s. There is a vacant lot on the site today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.