2113 Kittredge Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Firms: Balch & Stanbery
Previous Names: T & D Theatre, New Fox California Theatre, California Cinema Center
The T & D Theatre was built for live theatre and movies. Designed in a Greek Revival style by architect Albert W. Cornelius, it opened December 9, 1914 with the Italian movie “Cabiria”. It had an orchestra and was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual, 7 ranks organ which had been transferred from the Embassy Theatre, San Francisco. Two more ranks were added to the instrument.
It was taken over by West Coast Theatres in early-1928 and was closed on May 5, 1928 for remodeling to the plans of architectural firm Balch & Stanbery, reopening on October 10, 1930 as the New Fox California Theatre with Charles ‘Buddy’ Rogers in “Follow Thru” and organist Floyd Wright playing the Wurlitzer organ. It was remodeled in 1952 and the Wurlitzer organ was removed in 1954, transferring to Vallejo. The California Theatre was triplexed on April 9, 1976 and renamed California Cinema Center. The California Theatre has been operated by Landmark Theatres since 1994.
Known as ‘The Cal’ to locals, the theatre closed in 2001 and was reopened by Landmark on June 28, 2002. It was closed on March 16, 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Landmark Theatres announced in October 2021 that closure would be permanent. Plans have been put forward to demolish all but the façade and build a 15 story block of apartments on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.