320-322 Court Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Auto Repair Shop
No theaters found within 30 miles
The Gaiety Theatre launched March 12, 1912 billed as Muskogee’s largest photoplay house. By July of 1912, the sheriff had interceded and auctioned the property off in a bankruptcy settlement. The theatre relaunched under new operator W.M. Irwin that August with three reels of films and vaudeville acts including Debaldo’s Comedy-Trained Sheep and Pigs. The theatre was closed again but re-emerged as the “New” Gaiety under new operators in 1914.
The theatre had children’s shows for kids on Saturday to their delight under new operator Raymond Gear in 1915. The theatre used serials to draw audiences as well selling out six straight shows of “Runaway June” in 1916 under operators J. D. Goodwin of Tulsa and D. C. Kennedy of Okmulgee. Under a previous operator, the Gaiety also had African American entertainment on some days. And the theatre hosted boxing matches and speeches when movie business gravitated to the other theatres.
Merriment at the Gaiety Theatre ceased in March of 1918 when the theatre went out of business. The building was refurbished as an auto repair shop. The building was later torn down although its neighboring property was still there in the 21st Century giving a good idea of what the old Gaiety looked like.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.