Showing 526 - 532 of 532 comments
Theatre number 5 was located in the former stagehouse of this Brooklyn Movie Palace.
The Avalon Theatre opened in Brooklyn in 1927. Designed by Samuel Cohen, the auditoriums seated 2,100 and featured a Robert Morton â€œWonder Organâ€. The ornate movie palace survived a half century, then closed in 1980.
The Loew’s Oriental opened in 1927, designed by Harrison Wiseman. It contained 2,733 seats before it was twined in the 70’s and triplexed in 1982. The Oriental showed it’s last movie in May 1995.
The former building housing the Avenue U Theatre sadly now houses a Commerce Bank Branch where the auditorium once was.
The lobby of the former Beverly theatre is currently a 99 cent store.
Originally part of the Loew’s circuit when it first opened, the Avalon became a Century theater about a year of two later. It closed in 1980. One of the auditoriums in the Loews Lincoln Square is named after this former Brooklyn movie palace.
The Kingsway opened on April 27, 1921, it was first twinned in the seventies eventually becoming a fiveplex by 1984. Originally part of the Long Island Century circuit which later merged with RKO and then was taken over by Cineplex Odeon in 1986. The Kingsway was closed by Loews Cineplex in January 2001. It is currently slated to become a Walgreens Drug Store and a health club.