49 Belmont Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Belmont Filmhouse (Official)
Previous Names: Trades Hall, Coliseum Cinema, New Kinema, Belmont Cinema, Belmont Picturehouse
Located in the centre of Aberdeen, this was built in 1896 as a Trade Hall, and it screened its first films in 1896. In 1910 it became a full time cinema known as the Coliseum Cinema. It was re-furbished in 1921 and re-opened as the New Kinema.
Refurbished again in 1935, it was re-opened as the Belmont Cinema. At that time it had 777 seats, a 20 feet wide proscenium, a 10 feet deep stage and two dressing rooms. The Belmont Cinema was closed in 1953 and the building became a warehouse.
The Belmont Picturehouse opened in September 2000 in what is now the Belmont Media Centre. It was operated by the City Screen chain of Picture House Cinemas. In 2014 the Centre for the Moving Image took over managements and it was renamed Belmont Filmhouse.
Seating capacities in the screens are: 274, 133 and 67. There is also a licenced cafe-bar which hosts live performances, bands and art exhibitions. It was closed suddenly on 6th October 2022 when the operators Edinburgh Film Festival went into administration.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
The entrance to the Belmont Picturehouse, photographed in April 2007;
This cinema was rebranded as the Belmont Filmhouse – a sister to the Edinburgh Filmhouse – after being sold to Centre for the Moving Image in April 2014, as Cineworld’s purchase of Picturehouse created limited competition in the area.