4730 N. Sheridan Road,
5 people favorited this theater
Architects: Ralph C. Harris
Functions: Youth Center
Previous Names: New Lakeside Theatre
Opened with Harry Mestayer in “The House of a Thousand Candles” on September 4, 1915. It was built and operated by the Ascher Brothers circuit (two years later taken over by the Lubliner & Trinz circuit) in the once-fashionable Uptown neighborhood. The 1,000-seat Lakeside Theatre was located on N. Sheridan Road at Lakeside Place, not far from Lincoln Park. Originally, the theatre sat well over 1,000 and was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual 7 ranks pipe organ. On September 20, 1933 it was taken over by the Balaban & Katz Corp and they operated it as a discount house, renamed New Lakeside Theatre, the reopening film was Helen Twelvetrees in “Disgraced. New seats and a new sound system had been installed.
The Lakeside Theatre closed around late-1966 or the beginning of 1967, and was acquired by the Dance Center of Columbia College in 1970.
Thirty years later Columbia College vacated the building for a larger, new home in the South Loop. The former Lakeside today houses a youth center.
In April 2023 renovations began with a view to reopening as a theatre once again.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.