604 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Family Theatre
Motion Picture News reported on June 10, 1915, that Harry Leland had opened a theater in Woodland. According to the Woodland Daily Democrat on August 19, 1915, Mrs. Mathilda McGuinness, who was in the process of divorcing Mr. Leland, came to Woodland to manage the Strand Theatre. The Strand Theatre was located in a building known as the Excelsior Block, which dates back to at least 1890 and is still standing today.
In December 1915, W.S. (Stuart) Webster sold his Sacramento Strand Theatre and moved to Woodland to manage the Strand Theatre. Between 1916 and 1919, Webster opened theatres in Dunsmuir and Klamath Fall, Oregon, which added to his theaters in Vacaville and Dixon.
In November 1923 Mr. Webster sold his Strand Theatre and Granada Theatre in Woodland to the National Theatre Syndicate and apparently divested himself of all of his theatre interests (The National Theater Syndicate was formed by Frank Vesley, and R. Crook, formerly with T&D Jr. Theatres). It was reported at the time that Webster and his wife were going to South America to manage the Metro Pictures exchange. The Daily Democrat noted, “His job will be to book Metro pictures in the larger centers of South America.”
While managed by National Theatre Syndicate, the Strand Theatre, briefly called the Family Theatre, dropped out of the local listing near the end of January 1924. On July 2, 1924, the Daily Democrat reported that the organ in the old Strand Theatre was being packed to ship to the National Theatre in Chico. The Strand Theatre was closed on July 13, 1924 with Bert Lytell in “The Idle Rich”. The theatre was used for occasional live events later in 1924. In 1925 it was converted into the Central Market.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.